Sunday 26 August 2012

Fish and Plant Keeping

I have a small nano fish tank of 30 litres and it brings me a great deal of pleasure.  It's a Juwel Vio 40.  I have aspirations to upgrade and almost went to a much bigger setup a couple of months ago.  My other big interest is growing plants.  Chillies, herbs, orchids and draceana marginata at the moment.

The process of taking care of the fish and plants brings me a great deal of peace and helps me feel tranquil at home.  If you need a hobby that is totally absorbing then try plants or fish.

When I set about working on the fish tank, that is all I think about.  Nothing else.  I use it as a mindfulness exercise.  Similarly when I work on the orchids that is all I concentrate on.  Shut out the problems of your work or whatever and absorb yourself in the moment of the task i.e. cleaning the fish tank inside with the sponge.  Up, down, up, down, left, right and so on.  This way you can achieve first class results and reach a level of relaxation that you wouldn't have otherwise found.

No comments:

Post a Comment