Friday 24 August 2012

The Only Way Is Dukkha (in Essex.)

I was watching The Only Way Is Essex recently and it struck me how they behave. They seem so jumpy and filled with simmering frustration. I know we all experience dukkha it's only natural but they seem to make it a way of life. I think it's directly linked to how wealthy they are. The more the rely on wealth and status, big houses, flash cars, fine wines, designer clothes and make-up, the more they enter into a competition with their peers. The struggle to keep up appearances is at the root of their misery. No one I know is that breathtakingly competitive and edgy. They are headed for heart attack land and don't even realise it. This is proof positive that striving for wealth and material possessions and being vain is unwholesome and counter-productive to a person's happiness and well being.

No comments:

Post a Comment