Wednesday 19 September 2012

Phalaenopsis orchids and re-blooming.

I have noticed, like many of you, that the evenings and nights are considerably chillier than we have been accustomed to.  I decided now would be a good time to position the phalaenopsis orchids under a cool window to hopefully trigger some flower spikes.  The harlequin has been dormant for most of the year and I have a strong suspicion it is on the verge of a massive re-bloom.  When I acquire it the leaves were scorched and scuffed and they looked like someone had dropped the damn thing on the floor.  The bloom, however, was one of the nicest I've ever seen and I had to have it.

The plant was dug up for investigation and diagnosis and I found the root system to be very poor.  What there was was half rotted out and the rest had hardly any pot space left to work with.  I repotted it in fresh bark and now the roots are spilling over the sides!  It's grown two new leaves (one of which I scorched slightly in the window) and it looks to be in the best shape of its life so far.

This is a photo on the day I bought it:


I'll keep you posted as to its progress and hopefully a photo of an extravagant bloom will be forthcoming.


The roots are going crazy since I have been looking after the plant my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment